The Brocade 6520 is a 96-port, high-density switch for large enterprise data centers to support data center consolidation, growing workloads, and highly virtualized, private cloud storage environments. Delivering market-leading Gen 5 Fibre Channel technology and unmatched port density, the Brocade 6520 Switch provides industry-leading scalability, reliability, and 16 Gbps performance in a flexible, easy-to-deploy enterprise-class switch.
Class-Leading Performance for Today and Tomorrow
The Brocade 6520 Switch meets the demands of growing, dynamic workloads and private cloud storage environments by delivering market-leading Gen 5 Fibre Channel technology and capabilities. The Brocade 6520 is a high-density, purpose built, foundational building block for large and growing Storage Area network (SAN) infrastructures. It provides industry-leading scalability, reliability, and 16 Gbps performance in a flexible, easy-to-deploy enterprise-class switch, enabling greater data center consolidation, operational efficiency, and business continuity. In addition to increased throughput, it helps improve bandwidth utilization, security, and network visibility and management through in-flight data compression and encryption and advanced diagnostics. It’s an ideal switch for bandwidth-intensive workloads, evolving virtualized data centers, and private cloud architectures.
Additional highlights include the following:
- Provides high scalability in an ultra-dense 96-port switch to support highly virtualized, private cloud storage and data center consolidation
- Enables “pay-as-you-grow” flexibility from 48 to 96 ports using Ports on Demand (PoD) capabilities with speeds up to 16 Gbps
- Simplifies management through Brocade Fabric Vision technology, reducing operational costs and improving application performance
- Helps maximize application uptime and performance while reducing overall operational expenses with ClearLinkDiagnostic Ports (D_Ports)
- Provides up to eight in-flight encryption and compression ports, delivering data center-to-data center security and bandwidth savings
- Optimizes link and bandwidth utilization with Brocade ISL Trunking and Dynamic Path Selection (DPS)
- Accelerates deployment and troubleshooting with Dynamic Fabric Provisioning (DFP), monitoring, and advanced diagnostics
Dynamic Path Selection (DPS) augments Brocade ISL Trunking to route data efficiently between multiple trunk groups.
Features and Benefits
|Exceptional Scalability for Demanding Workloads and Data Center Consolidation||The Brocade 6520 features 96 Fibre Channel ports in a 2U form factor, delivering industry-leading port density and space utilization for data center consolidation. Designed for maximum flexibility, this enterprise-class switch offers “pay-as-you-grow” scalability with Ports on Demand (PoD). Organizations can quickly, easily, and cost-effectively scale from 48 to 96 ports in 24-port increments, each supporting 2, 4, 8, 10, or 16 Gbps. In addition, flexible, high-speed 16 Gbps and 8 Gbps optics allow organizations to deploy bandwidth on demand to meet growing data center needs. For maximum flexibility, the switch also features dual-direction airflow options to support the latest hot aisle/cold aisle configurations.|
|Industry-Leading Performance for Growing Workload||The Brocade 6520 delivers exceptional performance for growing and dynamic workloads through a combination of market-leading throughput and bandwidth utilization. With the unpredictability of virtualized workloads and cloud services, throughput becomes critical to ensuring that the network does not become the bottleneck. With 96 ports, the Brocade 6520 provides an aggregate 1536 Gbps full-duplex throughput. Up to eight ISLs can be combined together in a 128 Gbps framed-based trunk. In addition, exchange-based Dynamic Path Selection (DPS) optimizes fabric-wide performance and load balancing by automatically routing data to the most efficient, available path in the fabric. This augments Brocade ISL Trunking to provide more effective load balancing in certain configurations. Moreover, the enterprise-class capabilities of this switch yield 40 percent higher performance compared to 10 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) alternatives at a similar cost.|
|Simplified Management and Robust Network Analytics||Brocade Fabric Vision technology, an extension of Brocade Gen 5 Fibre Channel, introduces a breakthrough hardware and software technology that maximizes uptime, simplifies SAN management, and provides unprecedented visibility and insight across the storage network. Offering innovative diagnostic, monitoring, and management capabilities, the Brocade 6520 with Fabric Vision technology helps administrators avoid problems, maximize application performance, and reduce operational costs. Brocade Fabric Vision technology includes:
|A Building Block for Virtualized, Private Cloud Storage||The Brocade 6520 provides a critical building block for today’s highly virtualized, private cloud storage environments. It simplifies server virtualization and Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) management while meeting the high-throughput demands of Solid State Disks (SSDs). The Brocade 6520 also supports multitenancy in cloud environments through Virtual Fabrics, Quality of Service (QoS), and fabric-based zoning features.|
The Brocade 6520 enables secure metro extension to virtual private or hybrid clouds with 10 Gbps Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) link support, as well as in-flight encryption and data compression to optimize bandwidth and minimize the risk of unauthorized access. With four times more in-flight encryption and compression ports than the Brocade 6510 Switch, the Brocade 6520 supports higher data volumes over long distance. The switch also features on-board data security and acceleration, minimizing the need for separate acceleration appliances to support distance extension. Internal fault-tolerant and enterprise-class RAS features help minimize downtime to support mission-critical cloud environments.
- Brocade 6520 Series Switch Brochure
- Brocade 6520, 6510, 6505 Frequently Asked Questions
- Brocade Advanced Performance Monitoring Data Sheet
To learn more about PTS’ IT Consulting Services, visit a link below or contact us:
- Data Center Server Planning & Feasibility
- Data Center Storage Area Network (SAN) and Data Protection Planning & Feasibility
- Data Center Virtualization Strategies & Assessments
- Data Center Relocation Evaluation & Planning
- Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery
- IT Managed Services
- Routing and Switching Solutions