Developing a budget for a data center, computer room, or server room upgrade or new build requires understanding an array of items related to the facility supporting infrastructure costs, mechanical & electrical design and engineering costs, commissioning costs, and construction costs. However, in order to understand the size, type of power and cooling density required, and then the engineering and build, data center operators and senior IT and facility managers need to take a step back and fully understand the requirements of IT infrastructure both when the facility opens and several years down the road.
Data center and/or computer room budgeting or cost estimating are accomplished by identifying the key design criteria for the two (2) main areas of the project focus within the overall data center infrastructure and services, the Technology Infrastructure & Services (IT) and the Support Infrastructure & Services (the Facility). A computer room project, on the other hand, can be as involved as a project within a bigger base building project or as simple as a relocation and/or upgrade of an existing computer room within an established building space.
PTS’ Data Center & Computer Room Cost Budgeting Service is delivered as part of the Plan step in the even (11) step progression of the data center project process. To perform this service a Feasibility Design is required. In addition, PTS’ Needs and Survey Services are typically prerequisites before being able to deliver a solid data center cost estimate for an upgrade or new build.
Summary for Data Center Cost Estimating
Now that we have the Availability Requirements, Power and Cooling Density, Business Objectives, IT Requirements, and Facility Supporting Infrastructure Requirements, we can complete a Data Center Feasibility Design and, therefore, a Cost Estimate for the upgrade, renovation, or new build. Together, these items are called the Key Design Criteria and lead to the determination of:
- Space requirements
- Budget requirements
- Time requirements
It is difficult to generalize the data center technology infrastructure budget since so much depends on the type of business, the platform utilized, and so on. However, it is not uncommon for the project budget to be ten-of-thousands of dollars per RLU, or thousands of dollars per square foot of raised floor space.
To learn more about other PTS Data Center Design & Build Services, contact us or visit:
- Data Center Planning & Pre-Design Services
- PTS Data Center Power & Cooling Systems Analysis
- Data Center Feasibility Consulting
- Data Center Project Cost Estimating
- Data Center Site Assessment
- Data Center Availability & Risk Assessment
- Data Center Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Services
- Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery
- Thermography Assessment Service
- PTS Data Center Energy Usage Assessment Service
- PTS Virtualization Strategies & Assessments
- IT Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery
- Data Center Server Planning & Feasibility
- Data Center Storage Area Network (SAN) and Data Protection Planning & Feasibility